Vocalis Health, an Israeli artificial intelligence and voice analysis startup, is collaborating with the Ministry of Defense in Israel to develop an app capable of diagnosing COVID-19 based on the sound of someone’s voice. The goal of this app is to offer a new contact-free way to triage, screen and monitor COVID-19 patients, minimizing human-to-human contact and speeding the treatment process of the COVID-19.
- Voice and breathing samples from COVID-19 patients as well as from the general public are collected and developed into AI-based algorithm to see if the virus has a unique vocal fingerprint that can help with diagnosis. The underlying assumption is that, as the virus affects the respiratory system, the patients’ symptoms could be reflected in one’s voice and breathing.
- Anyone can donate voice samples via the company’s website and mobile application.
- Vocalis Health aims to enroll at least 100,000 patients by December 1, 2020 to collect as much data as possible with voice information tied to COVID-19 symptoms.
- The response from people willing to give voice samples has been “overwhelming”.
- The system is being tested at several hospitals throughout the country, with results expected to be formalized within four to six weeks, according to the company’s statement.
- The system is expected to offer a new contact-free way to triage, screen and monitor COVID-19 patients.
Source: Time of Israel, Israel 21c