‘SAFETY’ also called “walking-thru system” is a screening system adopted to address the rising demand for COVID-19 testing. Under this system, the patient goes into a single-person medical booth that separates him/her and the doctor. Doctors can collect samples without contacting patients using the glove attached to the booth. The examination takes less than 2 minutes, which allows to diagnose more people in a short period of time. Since doctors can examine patients without direct physical contact, the risk of infection of staff can be reduced.
- The idea came from ‘BSC’ (Bio Safety Cabinet), which is mainly used for handling hazardous materials in a laboratory.
- Size of booth: .7x.7×2.5m
- In the booth, a sound pressure facility and UV lamp are installed.
- An intercom system is installed as well to enable doctors to communicate with patients during treatment.
- A booth customized for children is also available.
- Through the system, examination time has shortened, sample collection takes about 1 minute, and disinfection time has shortened to 1-2 minutes.
- As the system allows a more efficient flow of both doctors and patients, waiting times are also decreased.
- The system is helpful especially to those who are unable to use the drive-thru screening system, the elderly, and children.
- Since the doctor examines the patient separately, the risk of infection of staff is reduced.
- 4 booths are operated at the same time, and considering the disinfection time, up to 10 people can be inspected every hour.
Sources: Herald Corp, Edaily, Docdocdoc