Busan Nam-gu Public Health Center and Korea Kiyon, a sealed box (glove box) manufacturer, have developed and tested a multipurpose negative/positive-room-pressure sample collecting booth. In the existing walking-thru system, the inspected person enters the booth and the inspector collects samples from outside the booth, but in this system, the inspector collects samples from the sealed box to prevent from getting infected. Moreover, as he is protected inside the booth, the inspector does not need to weara suit and protective gear.
- In the new system, the inspector collects samples from inside the booth to prevent from getting infected by his patients while patients have their samples taken in an open area.
- The inside maintains a positive room pressure which makes virus-carrying particles impossible to enter. While the existing walking-thru system takes at least 25 minutes to disinfect the inside of the booth whenever the patient enters and exits, the sample collecting booth does not need to be disinfected. The whole examination process takes 15 minutes per patient.
- Only the medical gloves that are attached to the booth need to be disinfected. Disinfecting these gloves is easy and simple: place them in the disinfectant solution installed outside the booth.
- The booth can be installed and used in a wide-open field that ensures a distance of 2 meters between waiting patients.
- As the system allows more efficient flow of both doctors and patients, waiting times are saved.
- As the inspector does not need to wear a protective suit and gear while working inside the booth, the relevant costs can be saved.
Source: Hankyung, Chosun, YNA