The Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport (MOLIT) and the Incheon International Airport Corporation have implemented a three-stage health check system for passengers boarding planes to prevent COVID-19 from spreading further. Passengers undergo the first temperature check in front of terminal gates and the second before they enter secured areas. The final check is conducted at departure gates by airlines of countries that have requested such inspections, including the U.S., China and the United Arab Emirates.
- First at terminals, airport personnel check passengers’ temperature with thermal imaging cameras.
- Next, military personnel report the process in the departure areas on the third floor.
- Finally, at boarding gates, airlines check passengers’ temperature again with handheld, noncontact infrared thermometers.
- At terminals, airport personnel guide passengers with temperatures of above 37.5 Celsius to a quarantine station installed inside the airport for contact investigation.
- On the departure floor, airport staff guide passengers with temperatures over 37.5 C to airline personnel to have their temperature checked at the check-in counters or to help with their ticket cancellations.
- Terminal 1 has five entry checkpoint stations and three checkpoint stations on the departure floor; while, Terminal 2 is equipped with three and two checkpoint stations each.
- It has helped minimize the risk of people getting infected at the airport.
- It has helped minimize the risk of the virus spreading outside the country.
Sources: Korea Times, Korea Herald, Yonhap News