We are excited to announce some updates for the ongoing Global City Teams Challenge (GCTC), a platform for local government representatives and technology solution providers to develop solutions designed to address vexing municipal problems with smart city applications. Particularly, as a partner organization, we would like to invite our members to participate in the largest smart city and community event hosted by the US federal government, the GCTC Expo, that will take place at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center (Washington, DC, US) on August 28-29, 2017. You may download the flyer here.
Where to register?
The registration is now open on the official website here.
What is in the agenda?
This year’s main theme is bringing federal/central, and local governments together to discuss about challenges, collaborations, and replication of best practices, along with identifying significant business and research opportunities for industry and academia. The preliminary agenda for the GCTC Expo can be accessed here. The morning sessions will start with keynotes from senior federal officials and a panel of mayors and county executives, followed by announcements from SuperClusters and collaboration programs from major industry, academia, non-profit partners. In the afternoon the exhibit floor will open, and GCTC action clusters and federal agencies will join the discussions on transportation, public safety, data/platforms, energy/water, and infrastructure. Truly exciting two days of back-to-back exhibits and panels with federal and local governments officials and stakeholders from industry and academia are awaiting you.
How can I join?
You still have time to form a new action cluster to share your solution and experience with other cities, communities and stakeholders at the Expo. Visit GCTC Participation Guide for a step-by-step instruction on how to register a new action cluster or contact Dr. Sokwoo Rhee at Sokwoo.firstname.lastname@example.org. Registered action clusters will be offered an exhibit space and a speaking opportunity free of charge (pending availability). Each action cluster should have a municipal government partner and technology innovators to demonstrate the benefits of the smart city solutions.
- To be considered to exhibit and speak at the Expo,the application to register a new action cluster must be submitted by June 8, 2017. You can refer to existing registered action clusters.
- To answer questions about forming a new action cluster, Dr. Rhee will host a “New Action Cluster” webinar on June 1st at 11am US Eastern time (8am US Pacific time, 5pm Europe time).
- Web link:https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/832557933
- To call in: +1 (408) 650-3131 and passcode:832557933#
What is a SuperCluster?
A SuperCluster is a multi-city, multi-stakeholder collaboration organized around common project objectives and shared solutions and is supported by existing individual action clusters. To view details, you can go to Super Clusters page and to join them, contact Dr. Rhee at Sokwoo.email@example.com.
There are five (5) SuperClusters formed so far:
- Public Safety/ Emergency/ Disaster/ Resilience
- Energy/ Water/ Waste Management
- Public WiFi
The Global City Teams Challenge is a global two-phase initiative of the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) designed to advance the deployment of Internet of Thing (IoT) technologies within a smart city environment. It consists of two phases:
- Phase I (November 2015 – September 2016: GCTC Kick-offTeambuilding Workshop, GCTC Virtual Kickoff Webinar, GCTC Tech Jam, GCTC Expo, among others
- Phase II: October 2016 – Summer 2017: GCTC SuperCluster Launch Event, SuperCluster Workshops, GCTC Expo, among others
As a partner organization, WeGO invites you to seize the opportunity to join and benefit from the Global City Teams Challenge. We are proud to mention that WeGO member – the National Information Technology Development Agency in Nigeria – received a 10,000$ Leadership Prize for its Smart IDP Tracking and Monitoring project in Jalingo City.